Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford f250 diesel: My transmission on my 2002 ford f250 is overheating

Customer Question

My transmission on my 2002 ford f250 is overheating coming up steep grades. I have just put in a new (additional) transmission cooler and had the transmission rebuilt. I was told by the transmission mechanic to put my truck into 4X4 low when climbing the hills because the torque converter will not lock in at low speeds going up steep hills. Does this make sense?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Below 45 mph or under a heavy load or alot of throttle the converter clutch will not lock in. Anytime the converter is not locked in, heat is rising. Can you go into more detail on this hill, the speed, the cargo, and what or if your towing? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris