Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Moose, just bought a 2002 Explorer. Friend of mine looked

Customer Question

Moose, just bought a 2002 Explorer. Friend of mine looked at it first an wanted to check vehicle in 4 high and low. He said it got stuck in 4 low and he had to remove 20 amp fuse under hood to get out of 4 low. When I put fuse back in I got an awful growl as soon as I got on hard pavement. I had no indication light on instrument cluster with fuse installed. I removed fuse and growling noise went away. How do I proceed with troubleshooting?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Are all 4 tires the same brand, size, and tread depth?Is the growl when driving straight or when turning?Is it still stuck in low range, removing a fuse will not make it shift out of low?If you install the fuse, start the vehicle, then drive straight 10 foot, stop shift to neutral, hold your foot on the brake then shift to 4 high, does it shift and does the light on the dash come on? If so then shift to auto and wait for all 4x4 lights to go out then road test again. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris