Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

F 150: . I replaced my throttle body on a 1998 ford f 150

Customer Question

Hi. I replaced my throttle body on a 1998 ford f 150 yesterday and now it's shifting funny and some times when I step on the gas it doesn't excelorate
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. What engine and tranny do you have on that F150?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6 triton. And a 4 speed automatic Transmission
Ok. That sounds like a throttle position sensor (TPS) out of whack. Now, the TPS on these systems are not adjustable and unless the circuits are not up to specs, might not even set a code. What kind of diagnostic tools do you have available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the check engine light did come on and I did have to unplug a sensor to the right of the throttle body. The new throttle body did come with a new tps port and it was supposed to be plug and play. Is this sensor something I can pick up at a auto parts store or ford dealership. I do not have a diagnostic tool
The same place that supplied you with the new throttle body (TB) should be able to get you a compatible TPS and instuctions on how to fit it. If the TB was a direct replacement, then you should be able to get a new TPS and installation instructions from any of the major parts retailers, any of which can scan your truck's computer for free. Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply so we can keep working.
Best Regards.