Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have an 03 ford focus 2.0. It cranks but will not start.

Customer Question

I have an 03 ford focus 2.0. It cranks but will not start. it slowly got worse over a months time taking longer and longer to start until finally it will not start. I have 40 ibs fuel pressure, I have spark, compression is same on all cylinders, I have
checked new timing belt and it is good. I have replaced cam sensor, crankshaft sensor, coolant sensor, fuel filter. I checked injection pulse relay and I have power to green wire like im supposed to. I recently put a different used ignition coil from a junk
yard on it and I was able to start it. But it slowly got worse starting over a couple days period until it went back to cranking and never starting. I have tried spraying starting fluid and it wont turn over.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checking is someone available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting any response. I am not receiving email from you either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyone available to help
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned all things needing to be checked except the injector pulse. Can you check that with a noid light.Starting fluid usage should bypass the need for fuel so it would only need spark and compression in that case. Are you sure the compression is good and the spark is efficient?Will it start at full throttle? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks chris. I did check the injector pulse with a noid light. It was flashing when I was trying to start the car like it is supposed to. This car only has about 3-4 thousand miles on rebuilt motor. If it starts, it runs great. I just can't get it to start. yesterday I had to charge battery and it was on charger for over hour and still wasn't charged all the way. I wonder if it could be a bad battery. I did have the battery checked at auto zone and they said it was good, it just needed to be charged. I was also checking fuses yesterday for power and when key was on I still had no power to fuses f1.16, f1.17, f1.26, and f1.27. Are those supposed to have power if car is running? before I changed out ignition coil I hooked a code reader to it and it was reading a code for temperature coolant sensor which I changed. I also changed thermostat out because it was overheating. That fixed overheating problem.
If it will crank at the correct rpm, then its not the battery. A dead battery takes about 6 hours at 10 amps to be fully charged. What is the compression reading on each cylinder?IS the spark vibrant blue and can jump up to 1/2 inch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the compression was reading around 110 or 120 on each cylinder when I tested it some time ago. The motor is completely rebuilt with new timing and the works. plus it runs great once it is started. When I checked spark I was by myself so I will check again this weekend and have my wife crank for me. What about those fuses not having power. the f1.16 and f1.26 go to alternator and fuel pump relay I believe.
Your compression should be much closer to 200 psi. At 115 an engine will not run. I suggest you double check the timing and do a compression leak down test to find out where the pressure is going. Fuse 16 17 26 27 are for the low and high beams assuming your referring to the fuse box under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine runs great after I start it. I probably didn't do the compression test right. It is a starting problem.
Since you feel like it should run at this compression reading then you need to redo all the tests on the fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse.