Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

Ford freestyle: Ok on my 97 fordfreestyle the air is not working

Customer Question

Ok on my 97 fordfreestyle the air is not working correctly . If it is just idling it does not cool. U have to get it up to about 50 mph for it to start cooling Nd it still does not cool good. Also I noticed when it does blow cool air it is only on the driver side vents and the passengers did blows hot air.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
What are the pressure readings at idle and at 2200 RPM's?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2200 RPMS
Blue 13psi
Red 130psi
How about at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idle
Blue-46psi
Red-111psi
I am sorry I left thst out
I see, thanks. Although the system appears to be a little under charged, the compressor may also be weak. That is why it does get cooler at a higher RPM. The high side should be closer to 235 and the low side should stabilize at the 45 PSI.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen on other forums that it could be what they are calling a a/c compressor control valve or shrader valve. Does that sound likely. Thanks for the help.
The shrader valve is actually for charging the system and with a bad 'expansion' valve the low side will normally be very low, (sticking closed). Actually you will want to be sure that the system is full and see if the pressure stabilizes and if not if they do at a higher RPM that is a weak compressor, thanks.