Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Focus Wagon (Base): i have an 03 focus wagon and when either

Customer Question

hi i have an 03 focus wagon and when either rear tire hits a man hole cover or equal bump the vehicles rear will shift to the side of the bump. new tires alignment (4wheel). shocks, also both rear bushings that attach the knuckles to frame. Its like the bushings arent keeping the rear tires in line or keeping the toe setting. the tire feels like it leaves the ground and the toe moves outward and when the tire comes back to the road the tire is outward and pulls the rear to the toed out wheel. ive checked the internet and this is obviously been and still is a problem. What is my fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Normally this symptom leads to needing to check the struts, which you did, and the stabilizer bar. Can you check its and report back on the findings? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I neglected to say that the problem is definitely in the rear, both sides. replaced rear shocks and bushing for the knuckles. so therefore the rear does not have struts.Again this not an isolated case. alot of people are and have had the same problem but ive never saw any fixes on the internet.
Thanks, ***** ***** check the stabilizer bar and end links?Did you check for a cracked coil spring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry I havent been back . Yes i have ckd. for a sway bar issue and no problems there. also the rear springs are not broken or cracked. This problem is very wierd. Maybe the rear springs are weak.
That is possible to have weak springs especially if you drive alot of rough roads, carry passengers often or alot of stuff in the trunk resulting in the springs getting worked hard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i sold the car to my customer and told him of the concern so i will wait for him to let me know. ill suggest rear springs and hopefully that will take care of it. have you went online to see what others are complaining about the same symptom. I was a ford tech. for 10 years before this vehicle came on the market. i was hoping you had a certain answer. i havent read any fixes yet. Please check for me other sites for this symptom and get back to me. thanx Perry
I do not go onto blogs since there are rarely techs in those blogs just mad car owners and repair guessing. I just use my trailing, knowledge, peers, and the Ford tech chat line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well have u heard of
this problem before?
Yes I have heard of, seen, diagnosed and repaired these issues. However I am not there to drive your and have to respond based on what you tell me has been checked, and fixed, and what seems to be occurring. Often a issue very similar to another may result in 2 completely different repairs, so each is unique. Are you do ing the diag and inspections and repairs or is a shop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive got another focus in my shop and will drive and inspect and maybe that will help. Youve been helpful and i will get back to u. I saw that my credit card was charged and hope u have been paid.
The website collects your deposit as soon as anyone replies to you. I am not paid from that deposit till you rate my answer. If there is no or a bad rating the website keeps it all.