Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

E 150 V6: I have a 2001 Ford E150 with a V6. I have had it

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford E150 with a V6. I have had it tested diagnostically several times.
Everyone says it's not an electrical problem but a mechanical issue. The problem is when
I place the gearshift lever in R D 1 2 the engine acts like it is missing. This problem also
occurs when I come to a stop. When I place the gearshift in park the engine idles alittle
faster and the problem disappears. The problem also disappears when I am driving down
the road. There isn't any engine missing until I come to a stop. No one can tell me what
is causing this problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. The symptoms you describe point to a stuck TCC solenoid. Sometimes this issue can be solved by just flushing the transmission and replacing the filter; however, if the solenoid is bad, then it would be necessary to replace it. Here are the steps to diagnose this condition:1. Warm engine to normal operating temperature. Ensure transaxle fluid level is correct. Drive vehicle and maintain vehicle speed at about 50 MPH. Release throttle for about 2 seconds, then reapply to previous setting. Engine RPM should increase when throttle is released, and decrease in about 5 seconds after throttle is reapplied. Go to next step.2. Maintain vehicle speed at about 50 MPH. Apply light pressure to brake pedal so that brake lights operate. Engine RPM should increase as brake pedal is tapped, and then decrease about 5 seconds after pedal is released. If torque converter clutch operation is not as specified, check torque converter clutch solenoid with appropriate scan tool. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.