James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f-250 diesel: I have a 1999 ford f 250 diesel and its

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ford f 250 diesel and its pulling up for codes p 1316injector circ/idm codes dected p0478 exhaust pres ctrlvalve high input p0470exhaust back pres sens circ error p0541 manf intake air heater circ low
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Does the vehicle run rough at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LACK OF power black smoke unless you have rpm up
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Does it run rough at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you unplug the who sensor does the black smoke go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats the who sensor
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The EBP sensor. If that doesn't make a difference if you unplug the icp sensor is there oil in it? If there is will it run better if its unplugged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try that . i replaced it 2 months ago brought it from a ford dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replaced the icp sensor 2 months ago but i went out there and looked no oil on icp sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i replace the EBP sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that cause those codes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The EBP sensor and connector most likely will need to be replaced. You also want to make sure the EBP tube is free flowing and not plugged with carbon. Since the vehicle has internal IDM codes it usually means the injector harnesses may be loose. Since the vehicle doesn't run rough I don't suspect that as being the issue. You could have an injector sticking open that would explain the black smoke. Can you perform an injector buzz test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO SUCH PART. THEY HAVE A DPFE SENSOR WHITCH SITS ON A TUBE
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The DPFE is delta pressure feedback. It is used on cars with eve systems. This diesel has an EBP exhaust pressure sensor. If the parts catalog says it has a DPFE it is incorrect because this vehicle has no egr system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be replacing the ebp sensor today would like to know if leaking valve cover gasket would cause problem with injectors
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If the valve cover gasket is just leaking oil on the outside then it won't cause an issue. If the oil is leaking into the injector harness this can call poor connection issues and they should be replaced. Before condemning the IDM I would first replace the injector harnesses and valve cover gaskets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed ebp senor runs better but still smokes a lot checked codes it pulls up 1316 and 0541 codes something to do with injectors
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ha the p1316 means there are injector codes inside the IDM. If the injector connectors and under valve covers are ok then you replace the IDM to correct the concern. I always start with replacing the valve cover gaskets and under valve cover harnesses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the idm
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The IDM is the injector driver module. It is inside the driver front fender well. When you remove the wheel well the IDM is mounted underneath with a 10mm bolt holding the connector in.