jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Ford Taurus: 1995 Ford Taurus 2010k miles. Noticed some wondering

Customer Question

1995 Ford Taurus 2010k miles. Noticed some wondering on steering. Jacked front end up and found the right and left wheels move appripoximately 1/2" when pushing front of tire and pulling back of tire. This movement goes through. The inter tie rod and stops at the arch and pinion. What are my options?
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
so you are saying that there is play with the inner tie rods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appears to, but both at the same time would be expected? Your thoughts on new seal for the rack and pinion while the unit is out since it above the "H, frame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the normal slop/play when the inter tie rod end goes bad?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
sorry' I was in the studio doing some recording .
the book time calls for one hour to do both and you shouldn't have to take out the rack ,unless it is leaking .
There should be no play in the tie rods and I would consider it normal wear and tear .
Most likely you had some play in one already and the other side when it wore out just made the steering feel looser ..
there is a special inner tie rod tool to use and it can be rented from a parts store loan-a-tool ..
if you bought the tool it would run around $35 .so you may be better just to rent one from the parts store .
Most you have to pay upfront for the tool kit but they take money from you until you return it then give you you money back ...so it is free actually ...jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did I help you with this car issue ?..If I did could you please let me know ..thank you ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, if this information helped youif so please rate me positive as that is the only way I get credit and we can still continue to work on this please don/t rate me if you still need help ..thank you ..jazzmaster