Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1996 ford e350 and the airbag light is flashing a

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford e350 and the airbag light is flashing a code 24 what is this code and how is it corrected
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** this code, it is usually a bad airbag safing sensor, have you done any other diagnostics, beside pulling codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i was not sure where to start
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
do you have an ohm meter? we need to check the resistance of the sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have one with me but if you send me the information on what i need to do and i can do it when i get home
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Ok, below is the chart for diagnosing this, but usually its a bad safing sensor, but it also could be a bad airbag diagnostic module, but that is rare,Tim
1. Locate the safing sensor behind the passenger side kick panel and measure voltage on the Purple/White (P/W) wire with the ignition on and the safing sensor connected. Voltage should indicate a reading of 2.5-2.6 volts if battery voltage is 12.0-12.5 volts.
Check the Grey/Orange (GY/O) wire at the safing sensor and compare its reading to the value identified on the P/W wire.
2. If the voltage of the two circuits is different at the sensor connection, it would suggest a problem with the harness connector plugging in the sensor, or, an internal failure of the sensor itself.
3. If the voltage of both circuits is within range and the values match, locate the air bag diagnostic monitor, located behind the drivers side of the instrument panel, and check the voltage of the same two circuits at the diagnostic monitor connection with the monitor connected.
4. If the value of the P/W wire and the GY/O wire match each other and are within range as noted, it would suggest failure of the air bag diagnostic monitor.
5. If the voltage of either circuit does not match the value noted at the safing sensor connection, it would suggest a high resistance issue of that circuit running between the diagnostic monitor and the safing sensor.