Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 f 150 4.6 triton v8. I have read the Ford TSV on

Customer Question

2004 f 150 4.6 triton v8. I have read the Ford TSV on changing the spark plugs but I have also seen many people that use 3/8 impact to take the spark plugs out and I've yet to see somebody break a blog using the impact gun. Have you ever seen somebody
to use the impact gun to remove the spark plugs I really don't want to break them following the Ford TSB I've seen many people still break plugs
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Wow, I would never try a impact. I would think they would break sooner.I use sea foam sucked int oa open vacuum line to clean the carbon from the inside of the engine. I remove all the coilsI blow out the plug holesI mix 1 cup of Mercon 5 trans oil, 1 cup of diesel fuel, and a 10 second spray of liquid wrench penetrating oil, all into a mason jarI put one table spoon of my mix into each plug hole1 hour later I loosen each plug 1/2 turn1 hour later I remove them.I use this tool.http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-6918-Spark-Plug-Remover-Kit-New-/331407943960?hash=item4d2973e918&vxp=mtrI break about 1 out of 100 plugs doing this method. Make sure to go back with the new designed motorcraft plugs, anti seize on the plug body and threads, and Di-electric grease on the coil boots. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that the 5.4 engines had this plug problem since 04 but even the tool you linked in your response says the 4.6 with problems started in 2005. Is it possible that I have a 4.6 without this sparkplug problem?
It is possible you have the 4.6 that does not have this plug issue. It would need to be a 3 valve engine to have this plug design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this truck is a 2004 so it has the new body style. I dont know if it is the 4.6
Give me your vin# ***** I can tell you which engine you have?