EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

F250: I have a reduced engine power message on panel of my

Customer Question

I have a reduced engine power message on panel of my 2008 f250 6.4. Not sure the cause cause it hasn't done that before. Been reading lots and I'm not sure if it's a thermostat or aDPF problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You could have a dpf problem. You need to have the codes checked in the vehicles computer. This will give an indication of what could be causing your reduced power.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You can have them checked and let me know what you get if you want to proceed further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealership wants 350 to check. Are the codes ford specific or will a decent scanner pick them up? Does the message need to be showing to read codes
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
First. 350 to check is ridiculous. Dealers should be charging 1 hour of labor to check codes and start there diagnosis. A decent scanner should be able to read the codes. There are some Ford specific codes, but generally they are generic. The message does not have to be displayed to have codes in the computer. The computer stores codes in its memory for a while. If the problem goes away, after 40 warm up and cool down cycles the codes will be erased from memory.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for viewing my response. Do you have any more questions? Also please remember to rate the service provided. Thanks.