A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford f 150: Back right spark plug broke below threads leaving

Customer Question

Back right spark plug broke below threads leaving porcelain and stem in the hole can't get the lisle broke spark plug tool to extract it is the last of 8 any suggestions?ford f150 2005 trinton
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
What is the brand name of the tool you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lisle extraction kit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Desperate to get my truck running, farm use and very financially strapped all other plugs came out slowly following the instructions for the lisle plug puller was easy. Until the last one broke.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
When you use the pushing tool, make sure you back the center plunger back and then install the tool till it tightens up in the hole, and then tighten the pusher down till the center shaft is all the way down. Then back the center shaft out and remove the tool. Ten you will need to blow the porcelain out of the hole with air, otherwise the extractor tool will not screw into the sleeve that is stuck in the hole. Also remember the extractor tool turns counter clockwise to thread into the sleeve and the nut also turns counter clockwise to extract the sleeve.
But you do have to blow the broken porcelain out of the hole before installing the extractor tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not successful feeling very very frustrated.tried exactly like you and youtube video said and no luck
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Can you use a mirror and look down inside the hole. Make sure the electrode for the spark plug is not sticking up higher than the sleeve you are trying to remove. If it is, the extractor will not bite into the sleeve. Also, make sure you are threading the extractor counter clockwise with pressure on the tool.