Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am having trouble with a 2012 ford focus. It will not crank,

Customer Question

I am having trouble with a 2012 ford focus. It will not crank, but the car is not here so I don't want to get into it now.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Ok. I need to make sure what the problem is with your Focus.
Is it a crank over by the starter but no start?
Or is it a no crank over by the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALL of the dash lights, door/trunk latch's come on, but the starter will NOT work/crank. I was going to "TRY".. & purchase "either a used or a NEW"... "starter relay" & see if that works before taking the car to a dealer as I am out of "other" options..unless I can get something from you.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"NO crank by the starter" if I interpret your question correctly...!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I had a "key programmer" ...make an "unsuccessful" attempt to RE-program the keys, I wonder IF that will affect the
starting should the relay 'be the problem" ..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I tried replacing the 30A starter relay, & that didn't work...& I am "VERY UNHAPPY" that I "have received NO response"...!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I do work at a dealership as a technician and my hours are based on the work coming in. My hours vary based on the work. Some days I do not get home till after 9 PM after getting to work at 6 AM.
If you have tried to reprogram the keys, that might have added to the problem.
Also, have you checked for any trouble codes in the PCM (Engine Computer) or any other modules in the vehicle?
Are you getting any warning messages in the instrument cluster message center?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the dash the "low battery" is flashing, (even though it is a new battery, it has not been charged (or the car ran) since it was installed) "I" have not checked ANY codes in the PCM (OR modules) & am not aware that anyone else has. My mechanic seems to think it is the computer, as does the key programming guy, but that is "just their opinion"...! Could omission or misplacement of any fuse in the REAR compartment affect the starting..? I kinda think they are fuses for the rear elements..? I "may" have put one or 2 of them back in the wrong slot.There are only 3 (small amperage) fuses in the compartment. I had the car towed to a dealer where they will perform a diagnostic test when they get to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand you "have a job" ..but the response is "WAY" too late..! I NEED my car & cannot wait for 2 days for you to respond.
IF a person is going to conduct a business, they NEED to be MORE timely...!
BUT.. that is "just my feeling" ..!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you feel that way. If you would like me to reopen your question to the other experts, I can do that.
But since I do have to have a full time job to support my family, and I cannot do that on just this website, then I will need to work at the dealership I have been a technician at for the last 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"BACK TO THE CAR" ..!
I "STILL" ..have "NO" possible answers to the problem..! I "paid" for answers..for "possibilities".."NOT" "questions
or excuses"..!It has been almost a week & I have not received "ONE" possible cause for the car "not cranking"..!
Thank you !