Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford expedition xlt: i have a problem with my 2006 Ford Expedition.

Customer Question

i have a problem with my 2006 Ford Expedition. Yesterday we replaced two Solenoids and VCT seal. it seemed to run better and we cleared the check engine light. later in the day we were pulling out of a parking spot and i heard a loud bang and opened the hood to find a hole in what i believe is called a valve cover, it encases the timing chain. The chain doesnt appear to be lose im not sure what broke the hole into it. Timing chain now exposed through a 4" long hole. My questions is do we try to repair this, if so what is the best route OR Do we replace the engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Will the engine still crank over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im afraid to start it again, however after the event happened the engine was still running.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the VCT solenoids or was it done at a shop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we replaced the solenoids ourselves
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have the valve covers off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VCT Seal or the big valve cover that goes around the timing chain? Currently we do not have them of I believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We havent done anything towards repair at this point, the timing chain appears to be in place still but the broken pieces from the hole look like a chain or something scraped against the inside.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
If the chain isn't broken, then possibly one of the guides has broken and the chain pulled it around and punched the hole. I would suggest you pull the front cover off and inspect the timing components for damage. This is a zero interference engine, which means if the chain has jumped at the very least the valves in the head will be damaged and bent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if the valves are damaged and bent does that mean replace engine?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would be the best repair path especially if the engine has quite a few miles on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to note I get error code P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
before replacing solenoids and after incident with cover
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your assistance. The engine is around 146,000
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
That is usually a sign that the oil pressure is low, when the engine gets hot the pressure drops low enough that the camshaft phasers cant operate properly and thus the code is set, the low oil pressure can be caused by worn camshaft journals in the heads or worn crankshaft and main bearings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ballpark of what this would cost for the parts and for the labor?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
You would be looking at about 17hrs labour and about $3500.00 for parts, this is only a rough estimate and will depend on what shop you use.