Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

F150: I recently bought a 2006 F150 5.4 3v . Inspite of all

Customer Question

I recently bought a 2006 F150 5.4 3v . Inspite of all the warnings I had to stay away from it I bought it anyway. It has what seems to be more of a clicking sound from the right front head around the general area where the cam phaser is. Some people say that's a trade mark of a 5.4 and some say it's going to cost a body loss of money to fix. Do you have any idea what would be causing this clicking noise?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
The noise and loss of power are most likely from variable cam timing components like the timing chain, tensioner, phaser, or VCT solenoid and possibly a tapet/lifter (hydraulic lash adjuster). Oil flow is normally the culprit that causes these issues. My suggestion is to get the engine to operating temp and add 1 gallon of kerosene to the oil. Run the engine at 1500 rpms for one minute. Shut it off for an hour. Start it and run it at 1500 rpms for one minute. Drain the oil and filter overnight. Refill with the correct oil and filter and see if it gets better before going into the engine. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
You apparently had 2 posts opened and I answer both. You replied on the other post but it was closed for being a duplicate. I can not open it now. Can you attach your reply on this post?