Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F-350 FX4 6.4L 4x4 CCLB: Shawn, I was driving my '08

Customer Question

Shawn,
I was driving my '08 6.4L home last night when i suddenly lost most of my engine power going down the road. As i was beginning to slow down I remember something an old mechanic told me to try w/ my old 6.0L, it was to shift to neutral, shut off the key, the turn it back on & restart the truck.(Used to help reset the turbo?) It felt the same w/ lack of boost & response. Anyway, i did this but the truck would not restart. I coasted to a side road & pulled off. Tried to start the truck a few more times but unable to. I checked the vehicle DTC's w/ my Banks IQ & it brought up 3 codes. P2610, P062E, & P1000. I'm not very mechanically inclined but talked to a friend that is a diesel tech. He mentioned that the w/ multiple electrical dtc's, to take a good look at the batteries. Which is funny, cause I think I have recently been having issues, though when i checked them, the indicator light on the battery was green( doesn't mean much I don't think) the voltage was good, & load test was ok. I don't drive the truck much, weekends really, as I bought is new in 9/07, & only have 33K on it. When i would go to start it, it would begin to crank, pause for a split second & resume & start. After driving a bit after that where ever I would go, it would start fine, next day, same thing. Had it towed home but still I can't get it to start. Is this something minor or quite major? Any advise for a regular joe would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When this was happening did you get a message saying pull over safely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not. I pulled over cause I was on a 2 lane highway w/ many cars. I did a little research last night after I stopped & I found out that the truck probably went into limp mode, which I didn't realize until I read it, which could have saved me a tow by taking side streets. But now I need to figure out what the next step is. Replace the batteries to restore full power to the Elctrical system, or a mobile tech to communicate w/ the FICM? Not sure.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The injector drivers are built into the pcM on this model vehicle. Are you running more power with your banks system? The first thing I would do is restore the vehicle back to stock and retest for proper operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can run more power if I want, but usually run on the economy mode for better fuel economy which is level 2. The stock setting would be level 1. How do I retest? Do I need to clear the codes? The truck currently will not start, only turn over.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle won't restart after returning it to stock? You do want to clear codes after programming and see if the vehicle will run?