Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

What is a Sterling Rear End versus a Dana Rear End and how

Customer Question

What is a Sterling Rear End versus a Dana Rear End and how can you tell the difference in an F-350?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I can try to assist you. What year, what size rear end? To my knowledge, the difference is the teeth on the gearing. The teeth are lined up differently and the ratio is different. Otherwise, there isn't much of a difference other than who makes it. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a rear end from a 92 F350 and a guy that wants to buy it wants to make sure it is a "Sterling" rear end that will fit his 93 F350 before he buys it. How can I tell?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
There is a tag on the rear end with a stamp in it that states who made it (most times) and has a group of numbers on it. Those numbers indicate make, gearing, part number, etc. If you can get those numbers, you can look on the internet or you can provide to me and I will look on Ford and see what comes up there. If your vehicle is stock, you can also provide the full VIN and I can obtain the info off of Ford for you as well that way.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
I see you viewed my response. Do you need any more assistance on this question?