Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Ford f20: I drive a 1987 f250. I replaced the ignition switch

Customer Question

I drive a 1987 f250. I replaced the ignition switch in it yesterday and now the freaking switch wont stay in the on position, because the thing that springs it back is springing it way to far. when that started happening I put my old switch back in and now its happening to that one too. Note when I replaced it the first time it was because it there was cracking in the plastic and it would NOT spring back far enough.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Did you happen to notice that where the 2 screws are that hold the switch to the column go through slotted holes(not regular round holes) this is for adjusting the switch. Did you see them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not? where would they be Located?
They are the holes on the switch where you put the screws through. Once you install the switch, making SURE the actuator rod goes in the slider hole in the switch, just loosely tighten the screws then slide the switch up or down to find the desired position.
Below are the instructions.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/Ignition%20switch.pdf
Let me try to find another diagram of the switch showing the holes but i think you know which ones i mean...be right back.
Here is the switch with red marks where the slotted holes are. Follow those instructions and you will get it set right.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/switch.PNG
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that why I was a little confused when you said two holes haha. sorry maybe if I call it the right part first. im working on the ignition cylinder lock. Or would I do the same thing?
Sorry a thousand times for saying the wrong part
It's a common mistake, no problem.
Let me look into that...be right back
Below are the instructions for the lock cylinder, but the "spring action" is inside the ignition switch itself and i really think it needs to be adjusted or the rod that goes from the lock cylinder to the switch is bent.
Try loosening the 2 screws on the switch and push it down lower on the column and test it. You might have to go the other way and pull it up towards the steering wheel to get the best adjustment.
Look over the instructions on the lock cylinder anyway.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/lock%20cylinder.pdf
Did ya figure it out bud?