Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

1999 ford power stroke fuel water light is on truck will not

Customer Question

1999 ford power stroke fuel water light is on truck will not fire however has power the wait to start light remains on. Clicks over however will not Starr. What could this be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you. If the water in fuel light is on, there is water in the fuel filter bowl that is causing that light to come on. It can just be water that accumulated thaere or you bought bad fuel, someone put water in tank, moisture accumulated through the tank, etc. Give this a try, on the fuel filter under the hood, you have a drain valve. Open that drain valve and let the fuel drain just a bit to get rid of that water. Only do this for a second or two. That should hopefully get the water off the sensor and allow the truck to crank up. On the wait to start light remaining on, that could be a relay issue or a glow plug issue. That shouldn't keep the truck from starting up. It can cause it to rough start and idle rough for the first few minutes, otherwise the engine should still start. What is keeping it from starting is the water in fuel light. It is protecting the engine because it senses water in the fuel. Try draining the fuel out of the filter for just a second and see what happens. If it still shows, then remove the cap, drain the whole bowl out, put fresh fuel into the bowl and put cap back on, and then see if the light goes away and crank is allowed. If not, then that WIF (water in fuel) sensor could be malfunctioning on you. That sensor is the square sensor mounter to the bowl. You can try to unplug it and see if it will allow a start as well. Sometimes you can unplug it and the truck will start and run, but throw a check engine light for the bad sensor. Then you can flush the water out of the bowl, change the filter, and then be fine after that. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?