Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

EXPEDITION: I HAVE A 2004 EXPEDITION WITH A 5.4 WHEN WARMED

Customer Question

HI I HAVE A 2004 EXPEDITION WITH A 5.4 WHEN WARMED UP AT A STEADY SPEED AND TRYING TO ACDCELARATE IT MAKES A LOAD WHOOSHING NOISE OUT OF THE EXHAUST AND UNDER THE HOOD. WHEN I LET UP ON THE GAS PEDAL AND REAPPLY THE ACCELERATION IT GOES AWAY . THEN REPEATS ITSELF AFTER A SHORT PERIOD OF SAME SPEED DRIVING
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Does this vehicle have a cold air intake or is it stock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is stock as so is the whole vehicle. Tried running with the EGR vacuum line plugged but no difference. When warmed up and trying to accelerate from holding a constant speed it sounds like air rushing out the exhaust and if I back off and then step right back into it, then it goes away until settling back into a constant speed for a while then trying to climb a hill or axcellerate again , then its back. Like I said I just lift the gas pedal and push back down then its gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did answer your question . It is all stock. One more thing when I runn a full tank of premium fuel it doesn't do it as often
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. I do have one more question. How large is the muffler? The original one should be about 2ft long. Is it the original muffler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes . Again all stock. 68,000 miles so no changes and its all stock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whooshing noise isn't always there under acceleration only after a constant speed then acceleration makes it happen . Sounds like the whole exhaust rumbles until I let up and try to accelerate again , then its gone and no noise up to the speed I want
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I have dug around and can't come up with anything. I'm very sorry. I will opt out of this and hopefully another expert can answer this for you.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Have you noticed a loss of power when it makes the noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No loss but whole exhaust from manifolds to tailpipe rumbles. Even steering column base vibrates a little bit. Let off the acceleration and step back into it a bit and its all gone. Just changed the plugs and put full tank of premium fuel in it and its not as frequent but still repeatable. Plugs were original ones that I changed. They had electrode wear. Thought I was on to something. No dice. Still does it just not as much. Almost like unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust . Sounds like a afterburner lol. Let up and get back into it and all is good until I settle into a constant speed and try to doped up from that.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
The muffler may have loose baffles, can you hear a rattle if you bang on the muffler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try tomorrow on my buddies hoist
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know what you find please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No rattles in the muffler. Took it off even and shook it around. Put the lowest octane at the pump.
Now its back doing it much more often than on the highest octane .
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Is it setting any troubles codes in the PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have a genesis scan tool and nothing is out of perameteres . Want to give it to my daughter and the noise and reverberations in the exhaust would freak her out lol. Weird how I can let up and step back into it and its gone. Really can hear exhaust sound change against a guardrail or large curb when its doing it.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing that I can think of for testing is to have an exhaust restriction test run at a muffler shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new stock muffler on it while I had the original one off for the inspection you suggested. It still does it. The whole exhaust still make a vibration noise like it is a afterburner on a jet when accelerating from about 55 , let up and accelerated again and its gone. So far the plugs, coils, muffler and air filter have been changed. Have had two different scanners hooked up to it and nothing has changed. Only the tank of high octange seemed to make it decrease in occorance . Really disappointing. Never heard of a exhaust flow test before. What shop does that? How would they check it as it only does it on load on the road? Tried duplicating it on the hoist . Will not do it. No codes for catylitic converter enificienty?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
the test require them to drill an 1/8" hole and check the back pressure under load when driving with a gage, The other thing that it might be is the baffle in the intake may have come loose, this would create noise when accelerating and when you let off it settles in place.