Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron. I'm having a vapor lock problem with a 1995 E-350

Customer Question

Hi, Ron. I'm having a vapor lock problem with a 1995 E-350 Club Wagon 5.7L 351. I'm assuming it's the same problem as the 460, a faulty fuel pump. High heat, pulling a load uphill mostly, but it just happened in high heat without a trailer. When it starts to cut out and then die, I smell gasoline while I'm in the drivers seat. I bought a fuel new fuel pump from Advanced Auto Parts and one of the employees also mentioned the fuel pump relay. Am I on the right track? Thank you. -John
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In most cases this type of problem is caused by a failing fuel pump and not the relay. Its common for a failing fuel pump to overheat and when this happens it cause the fuel to foam and the engine stalls. Its not uncommon once the engine and pump have cooled down for them to start and run again till the next time. You can verify this by installing a fuel pressure gauge the fuel rail service port and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 32 to 45 PSI, anything less then 32 indicates the fuel pump is failing which was a very common problem on your 1995..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Ron! Yes, that confirms what I had read in a previous thread about 1995 E350's. The previous thread also mentioned a redesigned fuel pump. Does this redesign include aftermarket fuel pumps? I bought a fuel pump at advanced Auto parts and will be installing it today, but I'm wondering; should I replace the entire assembly or will replacing just the pump be okay?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Do not install just the insert as they have a bad track record as well as a high failure rate and you will end up having to do it over again. You really should install the complete module assembly. The are a bit more pricey but worth it in the long run.
Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.
Thank you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks for the advice!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.