HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Windstar: Transmission dropped out of drive. It did not flip

Customer Question

Transmission dropped out of drive. It did not flip ever before this happened. I have changed the safety neutral switch and it has no effect any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
In gear at a stop? Is it full of trans fluyid and not burnt? no codes stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it dropped out while driving there are no codes. No history of slippage either
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok the problem is the forward clutch piston in the forward clutch drum is aluminum and has a crack in it and causing a loss of pressure in the forward clutch so you have no forward or reverse gears.They had problems with these and came out with a modified steel piston to stop this problem. But in order to replace it you basically need to remove the trans and take it apart like you would during anoverhaul. Other alternative is to fix the trans. This is if after it cools down it has gears again. another possibility is the transmission oil pump drive splines in the torque convertor are stripped out and have no oil pressure. You can verify if the oil pump is working by checking the trans fluid level with the engine off. It should be high on the stick, once started if the pump is working the fluid level on the dipstick will drop some as it gets pulled through the lubrication system of the trans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have reverse
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the pump is good, I would still suspect the forward clutch piston when it is cracked badly then it also takes out reverse gear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it still drives from 1st gear it just will not up shift and it does have reverse
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok then you have either an issue with the valve body or an issue with a clutch pack internal to the trans or bad one way clutch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying solenoids?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
No they would set codes, internal mechanical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please be more complete on your answers I need to know what to buy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
You wont know until you go into the trans, it will be either a valve body repair based upon fluid pressure readings if you have a gauge but from your complaint it sounds like a major overhaul, tear down of the trans and inspection of the parts to rebuild or replace the trans assembly