Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

F-150: i have replaced the cv axles on my 2005 f-150 lariat

Customer Question

i have replaced the cv axles on my 2005 f-150 lariat and now the passenger side will not spin freele
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have replaced both cv axles due to the rubber boots were dry rotted and were leaking
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
How are you testing this? With the engine running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i beleave the truck was off
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok the axles will be locked up when the engine is off since there is no vacuum to them. I would start the engine and see if they both spin freely, and then when placed in 4x4 they should both lock in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so if i jack the front up and it is running and in park the front tires should spin freely
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me try that i will be right back
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i started up the truck and the front is off the ground the driver side wheel spins freely but the pasenger side does not spinn freely
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you have good vacuum to that hub, then the lockout hub is bad, we replace a bunch of these lock outs for noise and not working correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u talking about the acuator
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, The IWE actuator, integrated wheel end. Since you had it apart, check and make sure the axle shaft is fully engaged also, sometimes when installed into the wheel bearing end, the 13 mm nut will be tight, but the axle is not fully engaged. If this checks ok, then you have a bad actuator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the axle nut can be to tight?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
No, what I am talking about is make sure the axle is fully engaged into the wheel bearing end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok let me check ill be back in a bit
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i took the truck apart if i take the vacume line off the actuator moves inword toward the motor if i put it back on it goes outward toward the hub
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also if the truck is in 2wd when u spin the front wheels are the axles suppose to turn with the wheels ?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds like the actuator is trying to work. If you have good vacuum to the avtuator and it still won't unlock, then you have abad actuator. If the engine is off, the wheels will be locked.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
If the engine is off, the axles will be locked, with the engine running, the wheels will spin freely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i slid the acuator onto the axle and hooked up the vacume line with the motor running it apears that there may not be enuff vacume to pull the acuatorin off the hubb
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
You should have engine vacuum there at the actuator when running, you may need to check the vacuum lines for cracks using a hand held vacuum pump, the lines should hold vacuum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have vacume and i put the new acuator in and then slid the axle back in even with the truck running when i try to spin the wheel the axle is still spinning
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Spinning with wheel? Or you can spin the axle by hand? Is the small nut installed also?