James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Escape: I have a ford escape 2008 that when I try to start

Customer Question

I have a ford escape 2008 that when I try to start is the engine tries and tries but it won't start. In some cases the battery goes dead. after some time it finally starts and runs. If I stop it for an hour or so and try to restart it the car starts ok. Now mind you the car has been sitting for over a year. I have a full tank of gas and some people say it is still good. any help on this problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Gasoline unless treated goes bad after a couple of months. If an additive to keep it fresh is added it can last up to a year and still be good. The first thing I would do is drive to get the tank of gas down so you can add fresh fuel to the tank. This will help out a lot. Depending on your location I would inspect the air filter to make sure no critters have made a home and plugged the vehicles air way. Once you are able to run a couple of tanks of fresh gas through it should start much easier. Fuel injector cleaner will help also. As the gas sits on injectors and goes bad it will leave a varnish. This can affect injector performance greatly especially at startup.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.