EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ranger, Edge: Ron, I am trying to glean some info on what

Customer Question

Hi Ron, I am trying to glean some info on what I think is a damaged head gasket on my 2001 Ford Ranger. the check engine light throws a p0304 and a p0402 code and there seems to be a little brown color in my coolant. But it doesn't seem to run rough at all and has power even up hills. I had a mechanic take a look. They did a compression test and said only cylinder 5 was low at 80psi and recommended tearing the whole engine apart to inspect the cylinders for 2,800 bucks. I thought I would get some other advice before taking extreme measures
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What engine is in your Ranger? a 3.0?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 3.0 and just for further info I just drove it a short distance and noticed the check engine light went off
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The brown in the coolant could be normal if the coolant has not been replaced recently. A lot of times you can rev the engine and see bubbles coming back into the overflow if the headgasket is blown.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to replace anything yet to fix the p0304, cylinder 4 misfire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't done anything yet
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The 3.0 is known for having some valve problems. If it was low on compression on a cylinder a cylinder leak test should be performed. If you are testing for headgaskets a block tester can be used in the cooling system to check for exhaust gasses. Thanks.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for viewing my response. Do you have any more questions? Thank you and please remember to rate the service provided.