Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford f350: I am haveing problems with my truck overheating.

Customer Question

Hi I am haveing problems with my truck overheating. The fan cluth was not working so I put a new one one and still haveing the same problem. The clutch will work fine for about 5 min or so then it will lock up before the moter is even work. Then it stays engaged for a while then it seems to just stop working. My truck starts overheating reaching 240 in the wtemp so I have to pull over and let my electronic fan cool it down. I have a new fan cluth and egr valve what else could it be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Is your truck a diesel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's the 6.0

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Will the fan cool off the engine while it is idling, and does the fan sound like it is hooked up at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At idle yes it cools down so it seems to work. I have a scan guage 2 and the fan speed sensor will read 2000+ sometimes running with the rpms. Then will run normal around 600 or so and other times when it starts to overheating it will read 0

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he wires to the engine side of the fan clutch connector are broken inside the insulation, you can check this by tugging on the wires, if they are broken the covering will stretch, ford supplies a replacement pigtail connector to repair this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great I will try it and let you know.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good, I will wait for your reply.