James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F150: I have a 2000 F150 with a 5.4 triton in it. im randomly

Customer Question

I have a 2000 F150 with a 5.4 triton in it. im randomly getting code p0460, however the service engine light never comes on. Ive tried 2 different instrument clusters and i think im down to a reflash of the pcm, or a new pcm altogether. Also, the gauges take about 5-10 seconds to start responding(including the odometer not turning on). Does this sound correct to you?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Did you have the instrument clusters programmed when they were installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i did as the truck wouldnt start because of the PATS system. A local shop here did the reprogram, and i didnt know what all that entailed, if the also re-flashed the PCM?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The P0460 code is caused by a faulty fuel level sender indicator. Sulfer build up from gasoline causes the issue. They make a sender repair kit for this concern. The P0460 is a secondary code so it won't turn on a check engine light either. As for the delay of the gauges it can be considered normal for the delay. When you turn the key on they should perform a swipe test and go to normal soon after. If the odometer isn't lighting up that is an issue. Did the odometer work on any of the instrument clusters?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The odometer does turn on after a few seconds with the rest of the gauges. The gauges do not perform a test sweep first they just start reading a few seconds after the truck starts. As for the 460 code if I put the cluster in diagnostic mode and clear the code withy the cluster in diagnostic mode it doesn't return unless I try and pull the codes before the gauges power up. Then it sets the code.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the code is only setting before the gauges power up that can be why. The instrument cluster sends 5volts to the fuel level sensor. If it isn't powering on when you test for codes it will set that code as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats what i was thinking. I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that the possibility of it having an aftermarket stereo, it could be installed improperly and pulling power away from the cluster. Also a little bit more back ground, recently the previous owner had to replace the alternator and i was reading that if the voltage regulator fails that it can send 17+volts through the system and cause damage to some electrical components. Sorry if im throwing too much at you at one time, ive been beating my head around this thing for weeks and i just need some help.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are ok I inderstand. The cluster works correctly otherwise though right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the gauges work on the cluster but none of the warning lights work. Which include the check engine and oil pressure and such.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to the on position do the warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. That's what made me think it was either cluster or pcm
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the info. Is this the same thing you had with the other cluster as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If the scan tool is communicating that is a good sign. Besides the warning lights does everything else on the vehicle seem to work correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes car runs great, no smoke, no misfires. One other little problem, probably completely unrelated is that if the gear shift isn't pushed all the way up it won't crank.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 2,30,6 under the steering wheel control the warning light in the cluster if you remove and inspect these fuses are they all good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check that and get back with you. Thank you very much for a direction.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. If you have a test light it is best to leave the fuse plugged in and test both sides have power. If one side has power but not the other you know that fuse is bad. Please remember to rate one of my answers as well so I receive credit. Even after leaving a rating I can still assist you with your question if you have more.