James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have an 06 ford f150 that was missing and running very bad

Customer Question

I have an 06 ford f150 that was missing and running very bad . 5.4 liter .no codes to read . took it to the dealer after we read on line a common problem was cam phazer,or vct sensor. we replaced both.Nothing changed .Dealer said the samething
.We paid them $150. They them said it had to be bad heads and cams . put new heads and cams on . Nothings changed , except now it's throwing a vct sensor is bad. We replaced it again. Nothings changed!
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Does the vehicle run ok until it's at operating temperature then it runs very bad at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it smooths out some but not all ,at idle it barely runs.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having. The very first test I would have done is an oil pressure test. If base oil pressure drops below 25psi when hot then the engine itself has an issue. That is what happens on this vehicle with this engine. The main bearings wear out and oil pressure falls to low. The oil pressure is what maintains correct engine timing. When the oil pressure drops the timing gets thrown off and causes the rough to barely running at idle. I wouldn't let them do anything else until the base oil pressure is tested and it's known it stays above 25psi at hot idle. When this concerns happens it usually means your better off having the engine rebuilt. I'm sorry I know you don't want to hear that after all of the work you had done.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At idle it's pretty steady 35psi when you rev it up it's in the 60 range
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
This is with the oil or engine temp around 200 degrees?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
193 by our scanner
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Have you guys replaced the VGt solenoids yet? They have an electrical connector and stick through the front of the valve cover on each side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that was in the first communication, also the cam phazers if you look back
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I see Vct sensor but not a solenoid so I wanted to make sure. What grade oil is being used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what it calls for 5 w 20
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what code you are getting please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes at all , that's problem , with the bad miss of course .
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Has this vehicle ever had the spark plugs changed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put all new in when we put the new heads in
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Has fuel pressure been tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure is fine
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you know which cylinders are misfiring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cylinder misfire , scanned and checked each individually both
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
No misfire but the vehicle is running poor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the engine has a vibration causing the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe so, I don't think it's the knock sensor,not enough vibration,plus no codes .
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I mean like a physical vibration. For example bad motor mounts or possibly a bad harmonic balancer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** we are done here ,Thanks.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you want I can opt out for someone else to assist you?