Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford: 03 focus non z tec new starter, alternator,battery,starter

Customer Question

03 focus non z tec new starter, alternator,battery,starter relay. battery cabels are clean. wont turn over. just hear fuel pump come on. checked anti theft its ok. now what?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.HOW did you check the antitheft system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
light blinks 1 evert 2-3 sec with key out. with key in start position solid for 2-3 sec. then goes out. car starts on a jump every time. battery shows 12.57 on my meter.
Check fuse 8 in the under hood fuse box both for being good and having power while trying to crank the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. do you know what amp it may be
30
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
be right back
Alright. Let me know what you find. Ill be standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuse looks good . how would I check that for power when I crank it doesnt turn over at all
Actually just check it with the key on. Theres two little holes in the top of the fuse.. both should have power with the key on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a test light . how could I use my meter to check, not sure what setting. guesing hold black to a good ground and red to 2 pins on fuse
If its auto ranging set it to DC Volts if not set it to 20 volts dc.Yes go from a good ground to the holes in the top of the fuse. Verify you got a good ground by checking the voltage at the battery positive cable first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k b right back
Alright
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes in key in start position I get 11.8 to 12.3 on both sides of fuse #8
OK. Is this a stick or automatic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it was nss or ignition switch I don't I would be able to jump it every time
OK. Next we need to test at the relay. It is located in the inside fuse box.There is a diagram either on the side or bottom of the relay to show which pin is which. You need to check for power on pins 30 and 85 and ground on 36 while turning the key to the start position.
Do you just want a guess or do you want to test it?
When were done with about a half hour or so of testing we wont be thinking it could or couldnt be something.. we will know exactly what it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 4 thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check them
Use your meter. Check from ground to pins 30 and 85 just like you did the fuse and to check pin 86 (not 36.. typo) check from a known good power source to pin 86. I always just run a power wire in from the battery. If you got some spare wire laying around or a jumper cable thats the easiest option.
Unless you have backprobes your meter leads wont fit in the holes.. take a straightened out paperclip or something and stick in there and touch your meter lead to the paperclip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k give me a few
Take your time. No rush on my end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure which one is the relay. the 1 I took out does not have any pin #xs anywhere.
Just a moment.
OK. I am attaching a fuse box diagram for your interior fuse box that shows the starter relay position and I am also including a pinout diagram showing you which pin is which.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure im testing it right. maybe I should call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got 12.3 on 1 pin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope we can start again in the morning. I spent 600 and haven't gotten anywhere. thank you for your help this eve. ill be able to test the relay when its light out. hope to get to finish this with you in the morning. Tim
Sorry. Got called out on what should have been a quick lockout waiting on your reply and it turned into a tow.Which one do you have 12.3 on and do you have ground on pin 86 and are you testing with someone holding the key in the start position?Just reply when you get back to it in the morning and we will move on.You havent spent 600 bucks here and I wont be taking blame for any money you spent. I will help you properly test to avoid throwing parts at it as long as you are willing to do the testing I ask of you.