Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Ranger: My 1999 Ford Ranger started to smoke from under

Customer Question

My 1999 Ford Ranger started to smoke from under the hood. The problem seems to be an electrical connector between the battery and the front left headlight. This connector shows signs of melting. Could I disconnect the connector and drive my vehicle to a mechanic, without doing serious electrical damage?
Louis Peterson
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Can you get me a picture of the connector and location and tell me the wire colors?You can try unplugging it and then see if it will start, if so then yes you can drive it this way to the shop, just make sure all exterior lamps work and nothing to safely drive is disabled. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to have the vehicle towed to a garage, but thanks all the same for trying to diagnose the problem.Louis.
Your welcome