Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ford Escape Hybrid: I have a 2008 Hybrid and we

Customer Question

I have a 2008 For Escape Hybrid and we just drove from Phoenix AZ to Baja Mexico. The temperatures were 110-117 degrees outside, so we had the air conditioner on full blast all the way. About 70 miles from our destination in Baja the Master Electrical Hazard light came on and the message "stop safely now" flashed. We pulled off the road and I seriously thought we could die with the outside temperature 115 degrees, no civilization for miles, and light traffic on the road! We turned off AC, radio etc. and after a few minutes, the car restarted. We made it to our destination safely (without air or radio). I have used the AC since then with radio on, and no problem. We're heading back to AZ in a day and I'm worried about it happening again. Do you think it was just overheated/stressed or something else? There's no mechanic here knowledgable about hybrids. Is it safe to drive back to AZ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Most likely an electrical component over heated under the hood and caused this issue here.Without knowing if any codes set with this issue its hard to say for sure what was the cause.You might check and make sure the battery cable connections are all clean and tight at the battery as this can cause an electrical issue under heat/stress like this as well.
Other then this I would have the fault codes checked to see if any codes set with this issue,if any had set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding. We just bought a new battery so the there shouldn't be any corrosion on the connections. If this incident generated codes, are they stored and accessible with the right equipment? If there was an electrical problem wouldn't there be symptoms of it now? We are still driving around in 105degree temperatures with 80+% humidity on the highways with AC and radio on? I'm so afraid this is going to happen again on the drive back to AZ...in such hot weather, if it happens in a desolate area, it can be a life-threatening event. Any suggestions on how to decrease the chances of this recurring?
Thanks!
Mary D.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If any codes set they should be stored and able to be accessed using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.This will help diagnose and locate the fault here.
If it is an intermittent electrical component at fault this can occur off and on and may occur more when the engine room has been heated up for an extended period.
The best way to decrease this from happening is to have it looked into.First having the fault codes checked and then diagnosed from there.Issues like this can be difficult to locate.If you can I would have a dealer look into it and have them drive the vehicle at hot temps outside on the highway and see if they can duplicate it this way there is a better chance of locating the fault.
Thanks Pete