James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F-150: I have a 2010 f-150 w/a 5.4 and a 6 speed automatic.

Customer Question

I have a 2010 f-150 w/a 5.4 and a 6 speed automatic. HOW DO YOU TURN OFF THE TRANSMISSION BRAKE. I drive a semi and have for over 40 yrs and a brake like this that you can't turn off is like peeing in the wind. about ready to go to a toyota. I also have a 2013 fusion that I ordered dec 2012 and does the same
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Are you referring to when you let off the gas pedal and coast? Your not in tow/haul mode are you?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard from you so I am going to try and give you the best answer I can. If you are driving on the highway and let your foot off the gas to coast. This is the braking you must feel? What is actually happening is the injectors are shutting off so the engine isn't producing any power. Since the engine isn't really running the weight of the vehicle is slowing you down and this feels like a braking event. It's actually a strategy Ford uses to try and improve fuel mileage. That is why you notice the same thing on the car as well. If there is a way to turn it off you would have to go to the aftermarket world like edge performance chips. They can change these parameters. Ford can't because it is messing with there emissions. This is the best explain anion I can give you with what I know and I hope it helps. If you have questions about it please let me know and I will reply.