HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Explorer ford: my ford is firing all cyl. at the same time 2004

Customer Question

my ford is firing all cyl. at the same time
2004 ford explorer 4.0 the ecm as firing all spark plugs at the same time in sted of 2-2-2
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, firing all at the same time? Good blue spark? no codes were stored? Ran fine one day then no start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes shut off then not start antitheft was set off battery dead no nothing ,got antitheft reset then would turn over and no start replaced coil pack crank and cam sensors no start , replaced ecm did not help, took to dealer no help
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure the PATS anti theft system is working properly now? Or you had an issue with the perimeter alarm system or an aftermarket one now? Does the red theft lamp flash quickly when you turn the key to on? A dealer couldnt fix this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I disable anti theft system , yes light does flash fast with sw on then slows down , dealer said timing must be wrong or firing order. They charge me 67.00 for redoing the keys. scan tool it is getting signal from cam& crank sensors. It still acts like it is trying to fire on two wrong cyls.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
No you cannot bypass the PATS system, even with two new keys the theft lamp flashes fast when the key is turned to on? That means its not reading the pats key, it should blink slowly with the key out and stay on steady for a few seconds when they key is turned on and go out,This is a SOHC engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to check something and get back to you tomorrow
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I double check system when you turn on key light is steady key off light blinks every 2 second it did fire but turned back words and quite.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok not sure what you mean by turns backwards and quiet, the engine? So it cranks normally, the pats system is working but no start. Does the engine sound like its cranking over like it normally would or does it sound like it is out of sync and turning faster or slower than it would normally crank over? You have good blue spark at the coil and plugs and injector pulse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets start again engine turns over normally no start has fire and injector pulse chain and compression is good has had two crank and cam sensors coil pack did not replace capacitor at coil firing order when tuning over seems to be off or out of order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with all of the plug wires held together it sure looks like they all fire at the same time
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Im just confused on how you know the firing order is off, are the ignitioon wires routed correctly? The coil firing order on one side is 123, and other is 465 not 456. Good blue spark? Will it run if you spray carb cleaner into the intake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will not run with carb cleaner , it akas like the firing order is off when it kicks back good blue spark,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and coil pack connection is facing to the rear
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Have you verified you dont have the wires misrouted? 1,2,3 is on the passenger side from front to back and 4,5,6 drivers side, only difference is how the run on the ignition coil for 456, its 465 and the coil should be marked to avoid misrouting the spark plug wires
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
If that is correct and it sound slike it is popping back through the intake while cranking I would suspect the engine is not timed correctly and an engine compression test would show if this was the case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the ignition capacitor keep it from running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has good compression is good all above 110
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
double check wires and coil and had some one else check it to just incase I missed something, could the cam sensor still be bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 123 wires are in back of coil and the 465 are in front
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
You mean coil or module when you say capacitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is part F6AF-18801-AA that's bolts right next too coil pack
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
No, thats just a noise filter for the ignition system nothing more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I am at a loss I have missed something I have worked around automotive for 40 yrs. so I am going to back away from it for awhile and start again. maybe the wires are burnt or connected together somewhere. I don't see any fuses blown , I have checked all grounds.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Well lets look at the basics, you have good compression, you have good fuel pressure, you have good strong blue spark and injector pulse so technically it should fire unless the coil drivers from the pcm are grounded together and causing all the coils to fire at the same time. With that said if that is the case it would be a defective pcm. But it should at least try and start and kick back of some sort as fuel enters the combustion chamber and the coil is fired unless the spark isnt strong enough and orange in color and breaking down, not genertating enough voltage to fire the plug. Right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took all the plugs out and grounded them with the companion plugs next to each other when it was turning over all plugs and injectors fired a lot just like there was no cam sensor or the cam has a lot of lobs on it every plug fires way to much and injectors just like the coil drivers are hook together. I guess the wires between the coil and the pcm could be hook together some where. I have had two pcm's in it both used maybe to bad pcm's . no most likely the wires between pcm and coil what do you think or bad cam sersor
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
I would think a bad coil driver in the pcm if all the plugs are firing at the same time or an issue with the wiring between the pcm and the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sure looks like bad pcm cause I had ohmed out the going back too the pcm from the coil pack the continuity is good they are not grounded and not connected to gather. how would I get two bad pcm's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know stuff happens
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Well used parts and they need to be programmed to the vin for proper operation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were I got it from a company that redoes only ford pcm and with a warranty, I sent it back once already and alls they did is clear the security.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I guess I will send it back 1 more time
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
sounds like a plan!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the help
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome, keep me posted, we will figure this out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to bother you again, but could the pats control module mess the spark and or timing or firing order up so it will not start. Just want to make sure it is the pcm
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
The pats system only comes into play on initial start up, once the vehicle starts and is running it does not come into play or cause the car to stall.