HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

F350: Replaced fuel pump and filter cam and crank sensors truck

Customer Question

Replaced fuel pump and filter cam and crank sensors truck still not running right. 2002 ford 350 v10
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, why did you change the fuel pump and what is it doing? Any trouble codes stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed fuel pump because truck did not start and upon trouble shooting determined that it was the fuel pump. Once it was changed it started fine but wasn't running smooth at all. No codes are coming up no check engine light on at all.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it has a rough idle? Does it smooth out while driving or does it have issues running down the road as well? Did you change the fuel filter when you changed the pump and did you replace the whole pump and carriage assembly or just the mini pump and sock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes rough idle and also does not accelerate smooth, once up to cruising speed of 60 it's smooth unless there's a hill then it chugs when I have to step on the gas. Yes fuel filter was also replaced and it was the whole unit that I replaced.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok and the vehicle ran fine before the original fuel pump failed or were you having other issues prior to it failing? Is fuel pressure normal now or is it dropping off under a load and at idle? Take a fuel sample?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all was fine before this(fuel filter was purchased at napa not dealer), fuel pressure is fluctuating under load and at idle. Have not taken a fuel sample, been getting gas at same station for years. It sounds like it's gurgling at idle and when you add the gas pedal it spits and sputters to get up to speed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an option to call you?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok Im thinking you are having issues with the fuel pump, with the key on engine off does the fuel pressure hold steady
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a gage tester.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the second fuel pump within two weeks that i put in also. Is it possible both were faulty?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Yes anything is possible or you have a bad electrical connection to the pump or bad ground, also the fuel pump relay may be at fault but usually will set a code. Also check the fuel pump inertia switch for being plugged in proprerly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the fuel pump relay located?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
It is located in the central junction block along with the pcm power relay which supplies power to the fuel pump relay
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
But it is not servicable it is part of the central junction block.So if you have random power fluctuations to the fuel pump, this could be your concern. Ive seen issues in F150 and Expeditions with the fuel pump relay in the CJB and replacing the CJB is the repair, But I havent seen one personally go bad in the F350 model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it has to go to the ford shop then to be fixed if that is the issue then correct? What is an estimated cost?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
No it shouldnt have to be programmed as a module it is just a fuse panel, prob few hundred bucks.Easiest way to check the circuit would be to hook up to the fuel pump inertia switch and monitor its duty cycle voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused I thought you said it wasn't serviceable? So am I just looking to replace the entire central junction block? This is a part I can get at the local auto parts store and replace then? Where on the truck is this located?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Correct it is not replacable without replacing the complete central junction block fuse panel assembly. It is a dealer part but you can purchase through them. But I would make sure it is causing a loss of power to the fuel pump before replacing it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I think of it my power windows and locks are also acting up and the factory installed DVD player hasn't worked in awhile could this all be connected? And is this just a whole new fuse panel? Central junction block fuse panel is the same thing and the fuse box correct? So it's under the steering wheel? Or is this a different panel box located somewhere else? Thx
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
That is correct under the steering column