Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Contour: I have a Ford Contour with a 2.5 Liter DOHC V6. Recently,

Customer Question

I have a Ford Contour with a 2.5 Liter DOHC V6. Recently, I've noticed some odd noises coming from the engine compartment after backing up out of my driveway and turning the wheel before driving down the street. It was sort of a creaking sound that I thought could be a tie rod or some other suspension part. Well tonight, after starting the car and turning the wheel slowly to the left, even though the car was in gear, all of a sudden (with the engine running smoothly), I could not move the car. I tried every gear. The clutch seemed to be operating properly, but the transmission was not engaged. Is their a control arm or other part connecting the clutch to the transmission that could have failed? I would appreciate your opinion...W.S. Adkins
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
The first thing we need to do is shut the engine off, and see if the car will roll while in gear when pushed. If not that means the axle shafts and final drive and clutch are good. If it will roll then we need to check all 3 of these while on a rack. You can visibly see if a axle shaft has a broken CV joint when trying it in gear, running, whole off the ground. I am leaning most towards a clutch issue in this case. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris