Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 1997 f150 lariat drove it today 99 degrees

Customer Question

hello, I have a 1997 f150 lariat drove it today 99 degrees stoped at store now it dont start, this is second time both times in the heat only now not starting at all need help thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Chris here,Will it at least crank? if so then its most likely to be a worn out fuel pump. On a hot restart this is the beginning sign of a pump failing. To diagnose this you would check the fuel pressure during this event. Can you do that? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the truck in dec 2014 about two months ago it was in the high 90 temp outside the truck was driving fine,*****back home stoped at store got back in and it cranked over but acted like it was not getting fuel and died had it towed home as soon as it was off the tow it started right up. We do not drive it all the time but when we have it starts fine. drove 75 miles am and drove 75 home mid afternoon high temp 99 outside again stoped at store for 10 mins and it did the same thing had it towed home again but this time it would not start tried to start it 8 hrs later and it still wont start but it is cranking over. I will try to check the pump but I think from what I am reading i might have to buy a gage. I have check the fuses & relay, but I have not checked the power to pump.
You can loan a gauge from your local parts store.