Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F250 6.7 Liter: I have a 2011 Ford F-250 6.7 Liter with

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Ford F-250 6.7 Liter with 36K miles, last night I drove about 5 miles over to friends house. When I decided to leave the truck would turn over but not start. I am wondering if this truck is equipped with a fuel system primer pump that should cycle when I turn the key on? If so I do not here it cycling. What are your thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.There is a low pressure fuel pump on the frame and the high pressure pump on top of the engine down in the valley. Actually even though they call it a low pressure pump it still builds up to 60 psi of pressure. This pump will come on when the key is turned on and will run for 30-45 seconds then shut off if the engine does not start. I have seen a few trucks with bad frame mounted pumps that would shut off at times but it usually wont keep it from starting after being shut off because there is still enough fuel for the high pressure system to start the vehicle already.There are a few things that can cause it to crank, but not start. what I would recommend at this point is to hook up a scan tool and see if there are any codes in it first. the next thing would be to check for clean fuel. There is a secondary fuel filter on top of the engine towards the drivers side rear of the engine. it is easy to take off the front line to it and have someone turn on the key for a second or to and see if fuel comes out of the filter. You may wish to put a used water bottle over the end of the filter to catch the fuel as it will make a good mess if it flows as it should.Other than that I would recommend taking it into the dealer for diagnosis, I don't know of many independent shops that work on these engines and you may still have warranty on the bad part depending on what it is.