Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Xl: 2007 Ford F-150 XL 4.2 turn signals and hazards stopped

Customer Question

2007 Ford F-150 XL 4.2 turn signals and hazards stopped working?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you have a test light or volt meter so we can do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks,Do they light up and not flash or nothing at all?Either inside the truck or outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do not work at all, turn signals and flashers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses and replaced the turn signal switch as recommended by local advanced auto
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.What I would like to have you do is check for power on the following wire at the turn signal switch. Light blue, please check it with the key on.Also, need to have you check for power at the following fuses, not looking to know if they are good or bad, just that they do actually have power when the key is turned on.#'s 2, 13 and 16. I believe the fuses are numbered in the box or on the cover. This is the box inside the truck.Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what positions the volt meter needs to be in.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You will want it set to 12 volts DC then put the red lead on one side of the fuse and the black on the other. if you have a 12 volt automotive test light, it's quicker, but your meter will work.Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a meter for now
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all and we can use it!! If you need help using it, just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do need help with the meter, On the meter I have the red in port ma batt and black in common. What position should I turn the meter to? and what should I get out of the meter as far as a reading?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You need to turn the meter to 12 volts DC When you place the red lead on one side of the fuse and the black on the other it should show battery voltage with the key on.If you give me the make and model of the meter I might be able to look it up to give you some better assistance with it as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My meter has an two positions you can select for batt 1.5v and 9v
Commercial electric hdm4100.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
look like this one?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-Electric-Digital-Multimeter-HDM4400-/201372773503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee2c0ac7f
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did get voltage at 2 and 13,but it's not that easy with these probes as I can't afford my truck.should I push the all the way in.there standard probes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford to damage this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
It's tough using the meter and the probe are the reason. You aren't damaging the truck by doing this.Did you not get any voltage on the other fuse or just not sure you were getting the contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty sure I wasn't making contact,should I just go to the auto parts store and get the light?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I think it will save a lot of grief on your part. Make sure it's got the clamp on one side and the probe on the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I have to put everything back that I took apart so I can go to the auto parts store, how can I connect back with you later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to put the steering wheel back too.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You just reply here, i will be here and we can take it from there. I know it's a pita and I am sorry for that. Electrical is always a pain in the butt. I think you can just take the shroud off to get to the wires we need to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This shroud doesn't come off without taking off the steering wheel,And I have to put it back to go to the auto parts store,will I need anything else?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe you will, but check and see if you can get a flasher relay for this one. Some you can and some you cannot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a tester with an alligator clip on on side and a pointed probe on the other and I also have a flasher relay.where does that go?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, give me a moment, recheck the fuses and make sure the test light lights up for all of them with the key on.To test, clamp the clamp on a nut or bolt for ground, then probe the window on the back of the fuse. Do both windows one at a time and you should get light. I have to locate a diagram for the flasher while you do this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sending you a link to a video showing the location of the flasherhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFLMU2d03V8
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.