Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

E-150: Ron got a 1998 Forn E-150 with the 5.4. Have a starting

Customer Question

Hi Ron got a 1998 Forn E-150 with the 5.4. Have a starting problem, the relay solenoid have been replace as well as the starting motor.
When the ignition switch is activated all you hear is the a click at the started relay in the started motor and sometime a repeated click sound from the same area, battery fully charge and also have tried to started with the battery charger on the start position with same result.
Can you help it almost sound as is the red wire from battery to started motor is bad although when check it has 12.4 volt going to it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and than you for you question,Are you getting battery voltage at both wires at the starter with the key in the crank potion?Can you turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar at the crankshaft pulley?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you are sure your new starter is okay and you have good battery voltage at both wires at the starter with the key in the crank position and the engine will turn by hand then I would suspect you may have a bad ground. Make sure you have a good ground from the battery to the frame as well as the engine block. Check this and let me know if you have more questions and or need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I'll check both + wires for voltage at the starter motor. Will get back to you.
you may also want to know that I use a rem poo te stater swich at the starter motor with same result
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you getting battery voltage at both wires at the starter and the motor is not seized then check your grounds. A bad ground could cause this problem as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine not seized
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then you dealing with either a power and or ground issue here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let you know the result of the test. THANKS
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well, I'mhere if you need me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not done I have bee out of town. Don't charge my cards!
Ron tested the current to the big stater wire and was 12.85 and attempted to start 10.5
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It usually take at least 10.8 cranking volts at the starter get it to spin, have you checked the cable as well as the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the eay the same amount of current is passing by the S wire
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
So did you ever check your ground and are you sure the battery is fully charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I charge the battery fully before the test and is puuting out 12.85
The ground wires are connected right the one going from the battery to the started seem to have a nick.
I cannot remembered how to check the positive cable whatI cannot remembered how to check the positive cable with the volt meter. Can you help on that the meter. can you help on that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Try disconnecting it from the starter and then check the voltage to it. Will the starter spin if you supply battery voltage to it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not following what do you mean
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Before you do that, will the starter spin if you apply battery power to it with some jumper cables?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I tried to jump it with a with the remote starter plunger and it did not work same clicking noise or click noise
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I'm taking about running your jumper cable from the battery to the positive post at the starter and then try jumping the small post to the large post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so what you are saying is take the small post on the starter and jump it to the big post on the starter but hook up the jumper cable from the positive battery to starter positive
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that correct, That will tell you if your getting a voltage drop through the cable. If the starter is okay and you have good power through the jumpers the starter should crank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad positive cable I'll replace and get back to you.
Thanks much
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay , Im here if you need me. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.Thank you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Super I'll
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Thank you as well.