EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

George, are you familiar with Lincoln Navigators?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I am familiar with the Navigator. What is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have a dangerous sudden sputtering when accelerating quickly. It is in the shop right now, and my brother had something like this that turned out to be a cracked elbow in a vaccum line at the back of the engine. But he got 4 codes indicating lean mixture and I have not gotten anything. The mechanic is inspecting now but does not see a crack.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very dangerous as this is my wife's car. It has happened twice. Once on the freeway it recovered. Last Monday on a major street, the engine died. The it restarted just fine and shows no sign of any problems. No codes. But I know this thing is a death trap until we find this.
There is a vacuum elbow in the rear of the engine for the pcv hose which is common to fail. That would be a good place to start looking. But also has a tune up been done within the last 50k miles?
More than likely the vacuum concern will not cause the engine to stall.
what year is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, within the last 1000 miles or so. 2004 4x4.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The major characteristic of this is that the thing runs like a top 99% of the time. This only happens occasionally, and only when accelerating, but not all the time. The shop cannot reproduce the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No codes, no mixture problems. No vacuum issues. Perfect idle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started about 2 weeks ago...two occurrences so far with the last on Monday.
One of the things that would make the engine stall could be a Mass Air Flow sensor. Usually it is more consistant of a problem. But there could be a poor connection at is connector. That would be one thing I would look at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would cause that to fail only during intense acceleration?
Also it could be a fuel pressure issue. The shop may want to install a fuel pressure gauge onto the engine to try and verify that. Replacing the fuel filter couldn't hurt if it has not been done in a while.
Poor connections.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me pass that on...
Ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, they are currently cleaning the mass air flow sensor, which I guess they thought of, and are checking the fuel pressure. Can you speculate as to why there would not have been any codes set during the failure?
That just happens sometimes. Most of the time, if a crank sensor fails there is no codes, or if fuel pressure just stops there is no codes. It must just not be something an engine sensor is seeing as abnormal to tell the computer to set the light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the tough thing is that we have no reproducible test case, so I have no way of knowing if cleaning the mass air flow sensor will do any good. I guess I will just have to switch cars with my wife and see if I can get it to fail again. Any thought on what do try to make it fail? I am going to occasionally stomp on the gas while moving.
You said it happens under hard acceleration, so just keep doing that. It is still best to drive it around with a gauge. You could have really low fuel pressure which will idle fine and drive ok until you floor it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the shop should put a gauge inside that I can see?
The gauge can be taped to the outside of the windshield
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. I will wait to see if the issue is solved. In a case like this where the problem is hard to define, I am thinking it is the most fair that, no matter if your suggestions turn out to be the problem, that I ok payment simply based on whether the issue is solved at all, since all input will have been helpful if only to eliminate possibilities. So give me a few days to see if we nailed it.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And please let me know if you think of anything else in the mean time.
Ok. The question remains open for a limited amount of time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again.
your welcome
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Please respond with any further questions or comments. Thanks and please rate my service.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. If you have any more questions or comments please ask. Otherwise please rate the service provided and thank you for using Just Answer.