HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ford escort: I have a 92 escort that seems to have a fuel retake

Customer Question

I have a 92 escort that seems to have a fuel retake issue. It wont start intermittently and then while driving sputters like its running out of gas. Just had the oil changed yesterday and all lights, battery, tested fine. I am reluctant to take it back to the dealer as they want to charge $102 to START the diagnosis and said they have no idea where to start. Is it worth the additional time and cost?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't want to spend a lot of money for an answer if it's not something I can handle personally.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, when you say fuel retake do you mean when you try to restart the vehicle after it sits awhile?Or just driving down the road it bogs down and has a lack of power? No check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it is turned off for even a minute it won't restart and as I was driving on the freeway at 70mph it bogs down and seems to want to stop. no check engine light on. I only noticed the fuel light when I tried to start the car. It does NOT stay on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it could be a weak fuel pump, if you cycle the key on and off a few times will it crank and run normal after stopped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. it doesn't restart. when it has sat for awhile it seems too however
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok you have a fuel pressure schraider on the fuel rail, when it doesnt start,verify if you have fuel pressure at the rail, if you dont its a weak fuel pump. If you do then you need to see if you have spark and verify the check engine light come on when the key is turned on and goes out when cranking, if it does, you are getting an rpm signal. if the check engine light doesnt come on when the key is turned to on it can be a eec power relay issue that supplies power to the pcm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure at the rail? I'm sorry..I'm lost. The check engine light DOES come on when the the key is turned on and does go out when cranking. what about a fuel cut off switch? i heard this could be an issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the only help you can provide? I do not understand your advice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not getting the help I need. Is anyone able to assist?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay I was working on a vehicle. The fuel rail is where the fuel injectors sit on top of the cylinder head/intake manifold area. Its a long tube that has a schraider valve like a tire valve stem on it to test fuel pressure