Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Expedition: Fuel pump relay shorted out on my 2003 Expedition

Customer Question

Fuel pump relay shorted out on my 2003 Expedition 5.4 liter. Replaced the fuse box with a used one. The truck started but is not charging. Durnug troubleshoot, I noticed that a relay was missing from the fuse box. Put a relay in and the truck started charging at 13.5 volts. The next day while driving home from work the battery light came on. Had the alternator tested, replace all of the relays, checked the fuseable wire in the battery cable. Every thing checked out fine, but still not charging.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Lets just start from the beginning.Do you have a lab scope?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Excellent! Check the tan/light green and brown/pink wires at the voltage regulator with it running looking for a good square wave signal. Let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to get back with you later, not at the vehicle at this time.

Thanks.

Alright. Just reply when you get those checked and let me know what you find. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perform the test at hte voltage regulator and got a good wave pattern. I also replaced the alternator and still no change.

OK. Everything checks out good. Your next step is to get the PCM reflashed. I am attaching a TSB about it.