Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Taurus SEL: I have a 2008 Ford Taurus. The Odometer display

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus. The Odometer display works when the engine starts in the morning but dims out completely and is unreadable. Could it be a short circuit or bad fuse? I don't have any other problems. Is it possible the LED display is malfunctioning and if so how can it be replaced?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but this is not good news, its an internal issue with the odometer LCD screen processor board. It is not an issue that can be repaired with tools, or wiring changes nor fuses. The fix for this is going to be replacing the instrument cluster. This will require ordering a replacement from your local dealer, that has the odometer programmed to your vehicle. Once the cluster arrives, it will need to be programmed. Give or take a total repair bill about 700$. Chris
I am sorry but this is not good news, its an internal issue with the odometer LCD screen processor board. It is not an issue that can be repaired with tools, or wiring changes nor fuses. The fix for this is going to be replacing the instrument cluster. This will require ordering a replacement from your local dealer, that has the odometer programmed to your vehicle. Once the cluster arrives, it will need to be programmed. Give or take a total repair bill about 700$.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris