Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

1998 E-150 4.2 V-6: Ford E-150 1998 4.2 v-6 van was running

Customer Question

Ford E-150 1998 4.2 v-6 van was running fine but last 2 days I drove it I would have to just about floor it to get it up to speed. Next morning it would rough idle only and now will not start. 2 different mechanics have checked it out but said they have exhausted what they can do. They did compr test and installed new cam sensor and new coil. Help!! Could this be a catalytic converter stopped up. Or could it be a bad EGR.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, This very well could be a plugged up converter. If you or they can pull out the up stream O2 sensors and then drive it if the converter is plugged up it should be better. You should see much more power and performance if it's the case.This could also be an issue with the mass air flow sensor. Sometimes they can go bad and send the wrong info to the converter, when this happens the system can be so lean there isn't any power.This can also happen without setting the check engine light or storing a code.Please let me know what more I can do to help.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.