Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ranger: We have a 97 ranger 4.0 that the alternator will not

Customer Question

We have a 97 ranger 4.0 that the alternator will not charge. we have a new alternator and a new battery with new terminals. I have 12.7 volts at the bl/orange wire, 12.7 volts at the yellow white wire
10.87 at the green/red wire and between 11-12 volts going through the white/black wire.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
All three wire need at least battery voltage and from your readings it look right. The wire you are checking are the blk/orange wire, the yellow/white wire and the green/red wire from the cluster that energizes the internal regulator. From all indications if you are 100% sure the new alternator is okay then I would suspect you have a wiring concern. Before you replace anything else, run the test steps I have enclosed in the link below and see if this will narrow it down for you. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Run the steps and post back if you need more help and or have more questions.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Jun%2016.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have voltage at all the wires and the bulb is working and the fuse in not blown. We had the alt checked and it tested good but we are having our doubts
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you have voltage at all three wires then the alternator should be charging, are you 100% sure its not defective? I have my doubts as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not 100% sure I just wanted someone else to help trouble shoot this because I was sure that should of been charging. we just ordered a new one and it wont be in until the morning
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Thats what I would do as well, if all three wire have voltage as indicated and the connections are clean and tight it should be charging. Sure sounds like a bad alternator to me as well.