Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford focus: Chris this is Reagan and tawny me and my

Customer Question

Hello Chris this is Reagan and tawny me and my wife have just purchased a 2001 ford focus and seemed pretty happy with our purchase till we noticed that as we were driving all guages on dash begin to jump erratically and also check engine light. And when I say guages I mean gas,speedometor,rpms jumping as well and as we drive on the guages go back to normal back and forth from time to time . Please please can you help us in anyway? We would greatly appreciate it and also we took car to auto advance and the did a diagnostic check and came up with a failed fuel level sending unit code. Does this pertain to our guages jumping as we are driving ? Please give us some advice on what can be done . Thank you
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the problem started it was only the battery light, Rpms. And the radio going crazy fluctuation counterclockwise and back. This am we were on our way to work and all of the sudden the the fluctuation happened with the rpms, battery. Radio and now the fuel gauge comes into play... And then the dash does blank..... Meaning no battery, no guages at all even odometer is off. Blank, and car is driving. Then after I dropped off hubby to work, stopped at AZ & and told them what was going on and they advised I see a mechanic. Didn't want to touch. After I left 2 minutes on the road home, fluctuation, fuel, as well, and then check engine light came on after everything shut off again and fuel gauge too, then was literally driving down the road with dead dash and a flashing engine light. After I dropped off to mechanic in charge of our purchase. He tells me that its the fuel sensor, and will need the whole pump. But we are concerned that this is more than one problem??? Mayb a cluster?? Idk, but really dnt know who to trust, because this our second car in two weeks, the place we have purchased from is as is warranty, but the Mechanic was shady on the first car , anyway really would like to know what is most important, what are the steps we need to take to stay on road. Really appreciate your help and guidance. Thanks Tawny & Reagan
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Step one is going to be monitoring the battery voltage while running and this occurring. It should never get out of the 13-15 volt range, if it does then that can be to blame. Next is to remove the cluster, and wiggle the wire harness to see if you can make it occur which would mean a damaged wire or loose wire and pin in the connector. Next will be to remove and sand the cluster grounds. If it still occurs and all diag has passed then the cluster is faulty. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris