Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Ford f350: You say to keep the combination valve open when

Customer Question

You say to keep the combination valve open when bleeding with a pressure bleeder, what do you mean?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking about bleeding brakes on a 1990 ford f350. Replaced all lines, bled with a pressure bleeder, no pedal when I cut the truck on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry meant to say replaced calipers, wheel cylinders, front hoses and a couple bad lines. Had pedal before replacing parts but truck had been sitting and brakes on at least 2 wheels were stuck so I replaced all of them. I read on this site about the ABS combination valve and am referring to an article written about the Kelsey Hayes combo valve where it says to keep combo valve open when bleeding the brakes. I don't know what that means. I did see a bleed valve on the combo valve and will bleed it tomorrow but I am considering removing it and putting in a manual brake bias valve on the rear. Was trying to get "Jerry"
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Usually you have to hold open the combination metering/proportioning valve when pressure bleeding but if you just have someone help bleed and use the foot on the pedal method, then you don't have to worry about holding that valve open.
Depending on the valve though, either you pull out or push in.
Plus, make sure you bleed in this order, rr,lr,rf and then lf.
Kelsey Hayes sounds like a rear wheel anti-lock system, but if you didn't open up any of those lines, you normally don't have to bleed it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I do see this has a an isolation/dump valve.
Like I said though, if you just use the foot on pedal method, you won't have to worry about holding open any buttons.