fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician
Experience:  master ase certified,senior master ford certified
66379379

Ford Taurus: 2005 ford Taurus starter turns but will not engage

Customer Question

2005 ford Taurus starter turns but will not engage flex plate, new starter did not help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I assume that this is an automatic. Did you check the teeth on the flexplate while the starter was removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic - floor shift -flexplate teeth good
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Where did you buy this starter, what brand is it and what part number?
Why were you replacing the starter in the first place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
autozone- brand not known- transmission was replaced and when I went to start engine the original starter would not engage they both would only spin the one way clutch of the starter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then I think it has something to do with the transmission installation then. Who installed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
friend ---
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Who is replacing the starter and checking the teeth on the flexplate? I think you are just going to have to double-check that work and find out what is going on. I have to ask now. Why was the transaxle replaced in the first place? Was the flexplate ever removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I,m doing the starter and I have inspected the teeth,,transaxle lost overdrive and wouldn,t shift --flexplate was not removed by the way I have a background as a mechanic but I am 66 years old and retired
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, does the starter bolt to the transmission bellhousing or does it bolt to the engine block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
transmission bell housing
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok and the flexplate is bolted to the engine crankshaft which is part of the engine so that leads me to believe that either the bellhousing bolts are loose or something else. I would check those bolts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already done
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Then I am stumped. I'll opt out now and hopefully another expert has come across this particular situation before and knows what is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your effort,I too am stumped
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
if you are sure the teeth are ok on flywheel, then I would double check the connections are tight to the starter and check both battery cables at battery and the ground on the engine, if still not working then it has to be a faulty starter, just because its new doesn't mean anything