Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Escort: 95 Ford Escort 4dr LX has starting issues. I have

Customer Question

95 Ford Escort 4dr LX has starting issues.
I have to hold ignition over on started at least 50 times on a cold start to get a spark. But once started will start normal.
After turning ignition off for an a couple of hours, problem reoccurs.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I'd say that this is either a lack of fuel or faulty spark plugs
its more likely to be not enough fuel and possibly due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.
if this doesn't help then I'd try a new set of plugs
and it would also be worth while measuring that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly
If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.
You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this initially occurred I replaced spark plugs and instantly it started, but upon the next cold start problem reoccurred.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
OK try the water temp sensor next as I suggest it would also be worth
checking the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance -
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the water temp sensor?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
its located on the cylinder head very close to where the top hose exits the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well... I checked the fuel pump by removing the fuel line from the rail.
The fuel pump is working. I used an spare spark plug to verify spark.
2,3,& 4 was getting visibly getting spark, but #1 did not.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
OK
in that case check the lead resistance to no.1 1st and replace if required
if thats OK then the coil pack may need replacing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt,It's like 100 out here, but I'm looking for the water temp sensor. The only thing I could identify is the sensor on the
hose coming from the thermostat housing near the top radiator hose.Also, checking spark wire lead on #1 and coil pack. I must have my ohm meter setting wrong. I check 1&4 and with a
helper get erratic readings.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
thats the one
try replacing the sensor with new and check the wiring and connector for damage
the ohm meter setting for reading plug leads needs to be in the Kohm range and if the reading is erratic double check the meter function by measuring a plain piece of wire
as this should give a reading of 2-3 ohms
if the reading is steady on the wire but still erratic on the plug lead then replace the lead with new as they don't last forever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt,There are 2 connected to the hose from the thermostat housing. One is black with pig tails and the other is threaded.
Which one should I replace?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
It should be the one with 2 terminals which I think is the black one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, it's not the one that sends the temp.reading to the gauge in the dashboard...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt,Please find attached a image of the part(water temperature sensor). I just want to make sure.
Or url: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/ford/escort/fuel_injection/water_temperature_sensor.html